Thursday 8 September 2011

PJs and Recovery Position

Am in recovery which is better than being in a ditch (or losing a diamond)

Did two trips up to Edinburgh this year: only a mad woman (or myself) would consider doing a try out show in Edinburgh with publicity when they had only done it once before…

You can see where I’m going I expect – well my first try out was at the Tabbard Theatre and very well it went – maybe it was the adrenalin or the fact it wasn’t Edinburgh with publicity, but I almost enjoyed it and if I forgot things (which I did) it didn’t seem to matter.

Fast forward to Edinburgh and imagine the scene. I’m in a cosy bunker – (great for some –like Kevin Orkian -v good ) it is full, there are not enough seats but chairs are being found (a bit like in a church hall) and my flip chart and screen (props I kind of need) can’t be seen by all the audience cos it’s not theatre and some people said they couldn’t hear.  Add to that there was a rather handsome pillar directly in front of me...

So er note to self -sort of have a look at the venue before you do show…on the other hand would that have stopped me? – we all love being asked to come up to Edinburgh don’t we? I patently did.

Anyway, my show was on late (and I must have been rambling) and my pal David Langham who was helping me had to hold up a note which said “wind up now!” Sadly, I couldn’t see said note without my glasses so had to put them on to read the note to tell me to get off…

So let’s hope my next appointment with comedy fares better –I’m actually doing it in a theatre!! Shock! Yes on 1st October at the Kenneth Moore Theatre –– info should be on their website soon.   At least there won’t be a pillar. Note to self – remember jokes.

On Stage at the Edinburgh Festival


Politics festival next: http://www.festivalofpolitics.org.uk/index.htm  Well, slightly smarting from a long mail of complaint received on my website about the Edinburgh gig ( I’d disappointed someone and I fear very possibly ruined his whole Edinburgh apparently due to my poor contribution) I ventured forth to see if I might disappoint any more folk but this time by looking into the role of satire within our political canvas.  Sure enough there was a cross gent in the audience in the Scottish parliament who expressed his right to be disappointed – I can only offer my sympathy – listen mate I'm disappointed,  we’re all Disappointed but we've got to carry on somehow.

I carried on. Stayed up to the wee hours with a nice professor Stephen Fielding and a funny writer Tim Telling which was the best bit

Am now in PJ’s on a writing binge. Did 12 hours yesterday - a record - am writing a novella for people with the reading age of 12 which is quite tricky to second guess –you can’t do too many three syllable words. Does than include consummate and consommé ?